International 214 License

Anyone seeking to conduct telecommunications business where the telecommunication services will transpire between the United States and an international destination must obtain a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). This particular license is named a Section 214 license, after the section in the Communications Act of 1934 requiring it.

Obtaining an FCC 214 license can be a complicated matter, and you’ll want to make sure that your application is in the right order to avoid delays that could cost you business opportunities.

Telecom Lawyer for FCC 214 License

Ben Bronston has more than 20 years of experience working in telecommunications law, and is nationally recognized as an expert in the subject. Ben Bronston has a long history of working with service providers to help them cut through red tape to achieve their goals. He can help you obtain your FCC 214 license so that you can conduct international business.  Contact Ben Bronston today at 888.469.0579 to get help applying for your FCC 214 license.

Ben Bronston – Telecom/IT Lawyer helps domestic and international companies all over the world with FCC licenses.

FCC Section 214 Info

Back to Top

When a 214 License is Required

If your company is a common carrier planning to offer virtually any kind of telecommunications service from the United States to a foreign country, or from a foreign country to the United States, you will need a license from the Federal Communications Commission. This Services which require this license include calling card services and voice over internet protocol services (VoIP), despite an early decision that VoIP providers would not be required to seek the license.

A common carrier is a service that provides the same service to all customers.

It is illegal to even advertise such services without the proper authorization. The FCC can and will fine companies it believes to be acting outside the law on this matter.

Back to Top

Procedure for Obtaining a 214 License

There are two classifications for 214 licenses: resellers and facilities-based providers. A facilities-based provider uses its own facilities, while a reseller sells the services of another carrier. If you are providing services that involve both, then you need an international 214 license for each.

The FCC charges a filing fee of more than $1,000 for a 214 license application.  There is a required two-week waiting period once an application has been submitted. While the process can take as little time as that, it is important to remember that the government can sometimes act slowly. 

Additionally, the Executive Branch of the government, including the Department of Homeland Security, may pull your application for additional review. If you are a foreign company (not based in the United States) or your company has any foreign ownership, it is especially likely that your application will get pulled for review.  

If your application is pulled for review, it could take more time and you may have to answer additional questions. As a telecom lawyer, Ben Bronston has had experience with clients who have faced Executive Branch reviews, and has assisted many  clients in navigating through these occasionally treacherous waters.

Once the application is complete and the government is satisfied, it issues a Second Notice, which serves as your certificate of authorization.

Back to Top

Maintaining FCC Compliance After a 214 License

Any time any information included in the 214 application changes, you must timely report those changes to the FCC. You must publicly disclose your rates and terms and conditions, which you may do through your website.

There are also a variety of other legal requirements you face as a communications providers, including contributions to the Universal Service Fund and other funds. Telecom lawyer Ben Bronston will assist you by creating customized compliance packages that meet the needs of your company and the services it intends to provide.

Back to Top

Assisting Telecom Companies With FCC 214 Licenses

Any time you are seeking permission from the Federal Communications Commission, there may be significant red tape. A knowledgeable telecommunications lawyer can help you find the most efficient way through. Ben Bronston has more than 20 years of experience advising and representing telecom companies, including through FCC 214 licensing procedures. Let me assist your company. Call today at 888.469.0579 to set up a consultation.

Preeminent Award Members Choice Award Partners' Choice Award 2011 Nominee Customers' Choice Award 2011 Nominee Partners Choice Winner 2012 Recommended Vendor 2012 Partners Choice Winner 2013 Recommended Vendor 2013